Tourism Industry News
600 spas in Australia expected to generate USD4 65m. in revenue during 2009
Intelligent Spas’ fifth Spa Benchmark Report on the Australian spa market presents an extensive collection of financial statistics including breakdowns of key performance indicators by day spas, hotel spas and resort spas.
The new research found over 600 spas are operating in Australia and are expected to generate AUD500 million (approximately USD465 million) in revenue during 2009, representing a 17% increase compared to 2008.
Other key findings included:
- 67% of spas were day spas (not co-located with accommodation) and 33% were destination spas incorporating hotel, resort and retreat spas offering overnight accommodation.
- The spa industry is forecast to employ almost 7,000 people in 2009, which was a 17% increase on 2008 employment numbers.
- 54% of visits to hotel spas were from people not staying in the adjoining hotel, highlighting the importance of hotel and resort spas also catering to their local markets in terms of operational policies and procedures and incorporating local day spas in their competitor analysis activities.
- Prices of standard spa treatments were higher at hotel spas in comparison to prices set by day spas and resort spas.
- 15% of spas noticed an increase in massage bookings, particularly hot stone massage and other relaxing massages.
Get the full story at: TravelDailyNews
See Also Other News