Tourism Industry News

Greece Seeks Investors for 1-Billion-Euro Crete Airport

21/09/2009 13:42

Greece said on Tuesday it is inviting would-be investors to bid for a concession to build and manage a 1 billion euro airport on the resort island of Crete. The Greek government will contribute 220 million euros ($315.9 million) towards construction of the new facility at Kastelli, which will replace the existing airport at Heraklion, Crete’s biggest city, Environment Minister George Souflias said in a statement.


The government will hold a 55 percent stake in the new airport’s operating company. The winning bidder, which will provide the bulk of the funding, will have the remaining 45 percent and operate the airport for 35 years.


The new airport will have a capacity to handle between 5.5 and 10 million passengers per year and is projected to start operations in 2015, Souflias said. Greece, one of Europe’s biggest tourism destinations, is seeking private investment to help improve its infrastructure and attract more visitors. Crete is one of the country’s biggest resort islands.


Concession contracts have financed infrastructure projects in Greece, as the government is faced with chronic budget shortfalls and a high public debt. Athens airport, the country’s biggest, is managed under a concession held by German engineering firm Hochtief. Investors must submit bids for Kastelli airport by Feb. 9, 2010. The government expects to pick the winning bid in the first half of next year, Souflias said.


Source: CaribbeanNewsDigital





See Also Other News

Travel Marketing

05/10/2011 17:33

Optimising QR Codes for hotels

Bar codes are not new technology, but they can be an incredibly effective way of...
18/07/2011 13:56

St. Kitts Tourism Authority Launches New Branding, Website

The St. Kitts Tourism Authority introduced new branding and a new website. The country’s...

Hotel Marketing

05/10/2011 17:27

American Hotels Embrace Chinese Business Travelers

Earlier this year, some 14,000 members of Amway China arrived in waves of 2,800 each for...
18/07/2011 14:01

Top 10 trends for the boutique hotel sector

Delegates at the inaugural Boutique Hotel Summit, Europe's first b2b conference for the...

Airline Industry

05/10/2011 17:43

IATA Reports Air Passenger Demand Slowdown in August

Air traffic demand continues to grow but at a slower pace, according to the...
05/10/2011 17:36

Qantas CEO Receives Threat In Union Dispute

Australia's Qantas Airways industrial fight with unions has turned nasty, with...

Search site